[Qgis-user] Using CRS to convert from Lat Long to Irish National Grid

Kurt Springs ferret_bard at mac.com
Tue Mar 27 11:14:09 PDT 2012

Hi Folks,

I'm in a bit of a pickle.  I am preparing some maps for a grant proposal and wanted to add some good vector maps for lakes and oceans.  The problem is these vector maps are in latitude/longitude and I need to convert them to Irish National Grid.  I tried using v.proj in GRASS but ran into problmes (and that is a different list group anyway).  After searching the internet I discovered CRS.

I made sure properties was set to IRENET95/Irish Transverse Mercator and checked Enable 'on the fly' CRS transformation.  Then I right clicked the vector layer and selected "Set Layer CRS" and set it, again, for IRENET95/Irish Transverse Mercator.  If I accept what is there already as right, all the lakes wound up in South America.  It looks like the lat/long numbers didn't convert over.  Is there a way to manually move them into position and make it away that this is it's right and proper position under IRENET95/Irish Transverse Mercator?

Thanks for any help.

Kurt D. Springs