[Qgis-user] Re: Donations -> Knowledge mananagment platform

jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk
Wed Mar 28 07:00:33 PDT 2012

Each medium has its own advantages and disadvantages, however between the
lot of them there is one core problem - the information is scattered and
fragmented between half a dozen places; you don't end up with a codex of
knowledge which everyone can reference which is what I think others were
trying to say.
I think it's great that users have the choices of forums/stackoverflow,
mailing lists, various social media sites, IRC, etc, but what if they want
to actually find a piece of information from all of those rather than ask
the same question for the nth time? You've got to use a whole bunch of
search engines, most of which aren't any good.

I'm not really sure if there's a easy solution to this, though I'm kind of
inclined towards a wiki that can act as a central codex. I know there is
already a wiki, but it's a horrid mess that isn't structured like any
other wiki I've ever seen and 99% of the stuff on there looks like its for
developers anyway. It's also not good at handling multi-lingual stuff (I
end up coming across random articles in other languages rather than
everything in one language).

Also, now that I look at it, the www.qgis.org web-site only really has
clear links to the forums and the "chat". It may be an idea to have a very
clear "need help with QGIS? Contact us via" and then a big list with links
on the front page, right below the nice big "Download" button. It really
depends on what audience you're targeting though.

Jonathan