[Qgis-user] Re: ecw problems

Pietro Rossin pietro.rossin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 23:32:14 PDT 2012

Ok,
in my case, because I thought that it was some kind of corrupted
installation, I deleted the
OSGEO installation directory, then I performed a fresh installation (may be
this isn't
necessary).

You must install Qgis (1.7.4.5), Gdal (1.9.0.2) and Gdal-ECW by the advanced
install option.
After the installation you must go by ERDAS website to download the READ
ONLY SDK package.
With Gdal 1.9 there is the support for the new SDK, the 4.2 (before, gdal
1.8, you had to
download the 4.1 RO SDK).
The link is as follow:

http://www.erdas.com/products/ecw/ERDASECWJPEG2000SDK/Downloads.aspx

Install it and go to /redistributable folder fo SDK installation directory
(in my case ERDAS_ECWJP2_SDK_Desktop Read-Only_42\redistributable\)
then there are three folders, two of them are vc80 and vc90.

ERDAS Says that:
"Each of these folders contain the same information. Use the vc80 folder if
you are running Visual Studios 2005 and vc90 folder if you are running
Visual Studios 2008. You have a choice of using 32 or 64 bit files."

I choosed the vc80 32bit, because I have seen that Qgis installs C++ runtime
2005 and I'm in
Windows XP 32bit (I don't know if it's right but it works).

In this folder there are 4 dll:
NCSEcw4_RO.dll
NCScnet4.dll
NCSUtil4.dll
tbb.dll

Copy them to "\OSGeo4W\bin"

Then control that Gdal uses them, by typing in osgeo command shell "gdalinfo
--formats".

If Gdal recognize them you should see

ECW (rov):Erdas Compressed Wavelets (SDK 4.2)

among the usable formats.

Then Qgis should work
If it's not like that, you have to control your qgis.bat (and "qgis-dev.bat"
if you use Qgis
1.9)

My one is this (I installed osgeo in D:\):

@echo off

SET OSGEO4W_ROOT=d:\OSGeo4W
SET GDAL_DRIVER_PATH=%OSGEO4W_ROOT%\bin\gdalplugins\1.9
call "%OSGEO4W_ROOT%"\bin\o4w_env.bat
call "%OSGEO4W_ROOT%"\apps\grass\grass-6.4.2\etc\env.bat
@echo off
path
%PATH%;%OSGEO4W_ROOT%\apps\qgis\bin;%OSGEO4W_ROOT%\apps\grass\grass-6.4.2\lib
start "Quantum GIS" /B "%OSGEO4W_ROOT%"\apps\qgis\bin\qgis.exe %

I just added "SET GDAL_DRIVER_PATH=%OSGEO4W_ROOT%\bin\gdalplugins\1.9" under
the third row,
under "SET OSGEO4W_ROOT", and qgis opened ecw correctly.

Hoping this helps

See you
Pietro