[Qgis-user] qgis and big raster catalogs

Alister Hood Alister.Hood at synergine.com
Sat Mar 31 02:55:38 PDT 2012

> Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 10:59:09 -0700
> From: Duarte Carreira <DCarreira at edia.pt>
> Subject: [Qgis-user] qgis and big raster catalogs
> To: "qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org" <qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org>
>
> Hi Qgisers!
> One question: how to get a fast raster catalog in QGIS with a big number of rasters in it? (in this case 400 ecw)
> I am having trouble getting this to work... I tried a vrt catalog and qgis just hangs when I load it.
> Reducing the number of images makes it ok.
> Is this a know limitation of gdal/qgis? Is there another approach to catalogs (not mosaics)?
> What is the recommended approach to see a large number of images in QGIS when working at big scales (zoomed in)?
>
> I thought of the following:
> 1-referenced shapefile catalog - like mapserver tileindex shapefiles
> -          Qgis does not support this

Do you mean what I described here?:
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-user/2012-March/015804.html
Note that if you use an action like I described (instead of using one of the plugins) the exact syntax is probably a little different, depending on what version of QGIS you are running.  I gave the syntax for QGIS master, which enabled the new "expression builder" expressions fairly recently.