[Qgis-user] Closure of forum

Mark Hall mhall89446 at att.net
Sat Mar 31 11:50:12 PDT 2012

How does one join the QGISGRASS group?

________________________________
From: Mats Elfström <mats.elfstrom at gmail.com>
To: Nick Hopton <nhopton at gmail.com>
Cc: qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org
Sent: Sat, March 31, 2012 10:30:52 AM
Subject: Re: [Qgis-user] Closure of forum

Hi!
Start a Google Qgis group, or join the existing QGISGRASS group.
That way all is taken care of, and no one needs to host or administer the thing.
It could be fully open, or for registered users only.

Regards, Mats.E

Den 31 mars 2012 19:10 skrev Nick Hopton <nhopton at gmail.com>:

I read QGIS-User on Nabble, where the posts on the closure of the forum
>appear somehow to have got mixed up with the Sextante thread, so forgive me
>for starting a new thread.
>
>The closure is a done deal I suppose but I think it will be harmful to QGIS.
>Forum users are now being pointed to Stack Exchange but many of them will, I
>believe, take one look at Stack Exchange and run a mile. The Stack Exchange
>GIS FAQ makes it quite clear that SE is intended for "...cartographers,
>database administrators, geographers, programmers, and anyone interested in
>or using GIS professionally."
>
>I don't fit into any one of these categories, nor I think would many of the
>people who used to post on the forum. They tended to be newcomers to QGIS,
>or people who make maps and use GIS as just a part of their job, or as part
>of a recreational activity, or any combination of the three. Some of them
>will be young and engaged in things like school projects. It would be nice
>to think that these people will shift to SE, but I can't see this happening.
>But we'll soon be able to tell, if things work as hoped a lot of newby-type
>questions should soon start appearing on SE. It will be interesting to see
>the responses.
>
>--

Mats Elfström, Väpplingvägen 21, SE-227 38 LUND, Sweden
tel: +46 46 145959 / mob: +46 70 595 39 35
alt e-mail: mats.elfstrom at telia.com