[Qgis-user] Access to ArcIMS server with QGIS.

Andrea Peri aperi2007 at gmail.com
Tue May 1 07:14:26 PDT 2012

>Is there some way to acess a ArcIMS server from within QGIS? I've done some
>research in the web, and could find some indications it can be done with
>Openlayers(refs. 1,2), but I didn't find any specific instructions on how
>to do it.

The standard arcims response in not usable from a wms client.
Because it is a two-phase request/response.
You send a a request to arcims, and it return you an xml .
This is the first response where arcims give any eventually request of
values, and the url to the image.
The client parse the xml response, get the url and start to call the second
request to get the image.

However ArcIMS allow also working as a WMS server.
To do this is necessary install to install a specific connector (servlet
type) on a java engine.
This connector (named "wms-connector") is a wrapper that receive al the wms
request wrap it to a arcims request and return the response as a wms
response.

This WMS connector is available in the DVD of ArcIMS.
Perhaps it is also downloadable from the esri site.

OpenLayer more probably has decode the request/response of arcims.
It is pretty simple.

Regards,

--
Andrea Peri