[Qgis-user] raspberry as a data logging platform for qgis

Tyler Mitchell info at locatepress.com
Wed May 2 20:10:09 PDT 2012

Hi David (and Noli)  - I need this equipment too, better get my order in! :)

Having the options for temporarily hooking up a display (when back at the truck), run off of modest mobile power sources and then sync back to an office db when back home... are some of the things I want to have running too.  I totally relate to your "cell thingy is not an option" comment - if something can't run offline then it's no use to many natural resource industries that are typically remote.  I also like the idea of being able to use some simple human input devices for capturing information - treating them like a keyboard on the Pi should be sooo simple.

I'm old enough to remember the days of data loggers and learned to value them always chugging away in the background.  Many modern solutions require so much user and application intervention that it is certainly less inspiring.

I'll have to start a topic at http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Forestry_Tools - though it's obviously much bigger than forestry, it is a typical example users of arcpad style platforms.

Got me thinking!
Tyler

p.s. I'm Canuck too - west coast.

-----
Tyler Mitchell, Publisher
Locate Press, info at locatepress.com
Open Source Geospatial Desktop book now available!