[Qgis-user] raspberry as a data logging platform for qgis

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Thu May 3 07:22:04 PDT 2012

David,

I've been impressed with the porting of QGIS to Android.  I haven't fielded it at all, and have only tested it for my own interest, but it another viable option to your described use.  I've been using it on a Toshiba Thrive Android Tablet.

bobb

>>> David Delorme <dmdelorme100 at yahoo.ca> wrote:

I have been thinking about and have ordered a Raspberry Pi.

I have been looking for a low cost open source tough light solution for data gathering in the field.
My work for many years was in forestry and mineral exploration. I used arcpad in the past on a hardened ipaq ie able to with stand getting beat around a bit and with stand -40 - +40c rain snow ice mud real life stuff it held up well considering the abuse i put it though. My  gis system at the time was Mapinfo/Grass with a postgresql back end. to hold points and other data and some GPS soft ware for data correction filtering.

I would like to try to do this with a Raspberry, small screen, input device, Gps, possible a camera packaged in a tough case running Qgis.
many areas i have worked are far from cell phone coverage some times 1000km so the cell thingy is not a option. i want a Linux response to Arcpad

I would like to hear and thoughts or suggestions.