[Qgis-user] QGIS Server on Mac

Thomas Dalbert dalbert at onuma.com
Thu May 10 14:11:25 PDT 2012

Hi,

I'm using QGIS on Snow-Leopard and want to publish maps. I have been following the instructions for the webserver configuration from this page: http://hub.qgis.org/projects/quantum-gis/wiki/QGIS_Server_Tutorial

I installed QGIS with KyngChaos' installer QGIS 1.7.4-4 and everything has worked wonderfully well (thanks a million!) for QGIS Desktop. I'm now a bit confused if the QGIS Server has been installed with this install. In the directory QGIS.app/Contents/MacOS/fcg-bin/ I see a qgis_mapserv.fcgi and when I use this test (according to the above instructions): http://localhost/qgis-mapserv/qgis_mapserv.fcgi? it looks like it displays the code of this file but not "Configuration file problem" like it says in the instructions. I assume this means that the map server is NOT running.

In one search I found a post by William Kyngesburye that the QGIS Server was not included anymore in the latest update of the Mac installer but looking at the contents of the application as described above, it looks like it's still there. Can anybody clarify for me if it should have installed and speculate what the reasons might be why the test only returns code?

Also, at the beginning of the instructions about the QGIS Server, it says one can simply copy QGIS project files into the server directory. Where is that "server directory"? The way I understand it, I have to add one directory per project but I'm not sure where. Additionally, shouldn't QGIS desktop create a capabilities document if I define the "service capabilities" in Settings > Project Properties > WMS Server?

I hope someone can help me with these questions.

Thank you,
Thomas