[Qgis-user] Openlayer plugin performance ideas?

mayeul.kauffmann at free.fr mayeul.kauffmann at free.fr
Wed May 16 08:41:25 PDT 2012

>  I don't want to download a bazillion image files
Anyway Google maps terms of use probably forbid this. (Same for Bing?).
You may try with Bing tiles, they have static tiles that are easier to get and their banning policy is, I believe, not as strict, which may be easier to work with.

And / or  you may try to see if you can cache the tiles using a local proxy server. The code given in the following page works very well for caching OSM tiles with the OpenLayers plugin in QGIS:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/ProxySimplePHP

Finally, all would be faster if the plugin could display the image even when there are a few tiles missing. I filed a ticket for this some times ago. If you have developing skills you may try to help here.

Mayeul