[Qgis-user] QGIS cannot read .nc files on my Windows7 64 Bits

MattJack mathieu at yadusurf.com
Wed May 16 16:32:14 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I am a GDAL user since years, working with .nc files without problems.
I'm using this version of FWTools : [GDAL 1.7.0b2, FWTools 2.4.7, released
2010/01/19]
But recently I received a pack of new .nc files that cannot be read by GDAL
on my PC.

I uploaded an example of .nc file "not working" here, it is approx 6mb :
www.yadusurf.com/loire.nc

I discussed with the producer of these .nc files, they told me they could
open it with GDAL but on a linux system, with this version [GDAL 1.7.3,
released 2010/11/10]

So I downloaded OSGeo4W, and tried to open with QGis, and it appears that
QGIS cannot open it.
Error is in French, approximate translation in english is "file is not in a
supported format"
I tried to open the .nc file with OSGeo4W, and gdalinfo says this to me :
C:\>gdalinfo loire.nc
ERROR 4: `loire.nc' not recognised as a supported file format.
gdalinfo failed - unable to open 'loire.nc'.

Where could this problem come from?

Thanks in advance
Mathieu