[Qgis-user] Re: QGIS cannot read .nc files on my Windows7 64 Bits

MattJack mathieu at yadusurf.com
Thu May 17 08:58:32 PDT 2012

Thank you for your answer Etienne,

> which version of gdal did you install in osgeo4w?
I used the installer linked in  http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ this OSGEO4W
page  , and just run a "standard" installation.
I did not know it was possible to choose a version of GDAL.
gdalinfo --version says :
GDAL 1.7.3, released 2010/11/10

>try this and see if NetCDF shows up, if not then the build does NOT have
netcdf support (haven't >checked)
>gdalinfo --formats
Yes you are right, NetCDF is not listed (and neither HDF4 and HDF4Image)

> If it does show up, can you try the following and post here:
> gdalinfo --debug on  loire.nc
Here is the output:
ERROR 4: `loire.nc' not recognised as a supported file format.
gdalinfo failed - unable to open 'loire.nc'.
GDAL: GDALDeregister_GTiff() called.

> ncdump -h loire.nc
ncdump looks to be pre-installed in OSGeo4W.
ncdump could open loire.nc, and outputted lots of metadata. Here are the
first lines (to show the format)
netcdf loire { // format variant: 64bit
dimensions:
	time = UNLIMITED ; // (1 currently)
	longitude = 301 ;
	latitude = 331 ;

So it looks like, as it is, GDAL does not include netcdf??

Mathieu