[Qgis-user] large ogr layers slow to load

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Wed May 23 04:08:58 PDT 2012

On 05/23/2012 01:34 PM, "JONCHERE Rene (Chargé d'études au pôle national
d'expertise progiciels géomatiques) - SG/SPSSI/CPII/DOO/ITS" wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Qgis 1.7 compiled with GDAL / OGR (1.7.0 and superior) is very slow to
> load a big ogr layer (250Mb). The same file on  Qgis 1.6 compiled with
> GDAL/OGR (1.5.4) opens in a few seconds.
> I suspect the version of GDAL / OGR, what do you think ?

I have observed this from the point of view of two different graphical
tools displaying vector data and using the same GDAL binary. QGIS is
much slower than a simple renderer, I suspect that QGIS spends more time
because of its complex visualization possibilities (which assumably have
become more complex since version 1.7).

Cheers,

Ari