[Qgis-user] Re: Qgis first startup is slow

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Thu May 24 05:51:04 PDT 2012

Hi,

Here are some more timings.

- Installed 1.8.0-20 with OSGeo4W installer.
- Deleted .qgis directory
- Started 1.8.0 once
- Power off - reboot
- Start QGis from a situation which I believe to be rather clean and no other programs running.

This was a 2004 model PC with Windows XP, 1 X 3 GHz Xeon , 2 GB of memory and IDE disks

Total times from start
47 seconds before seeing Lisboa splash screen  # this feels odd to me, is OSGeo4W doing some initialisations of what?
57 checking provider plugins
1.20 starting Python
1.30 restoring loaded plugins
1.45 ready

A little bit uncontrolled previous test without deleting .qgis directory and power off and some other programs running showed the initial startup time of 3 minutes and 50 seconds. That was much more than with 1.9.0 but as I told, test was not well controlled.  I had pretty many Spatialite databases in the datasource list and I wonder if that could have some influence. At least lights were blinking a few times in my data disk units during the QGis startup.

For comparison timings from Windows Vista 32-bit laptop with existing 1.9.0 installation after power off - reboot:

Total times from start
18 seconds before seeing Master splash screen  # rather a long time also on this computer
26 checking provider plugins
41 starting Python
51 restoring loaded plugins
1.02 ready

This one is 5 years old slow laptop.  We do have faster computers here too but as long as they let me keep these old ones I prefer to test with them.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

 Andreas Neumann [mailto:a.neumann at carto.net]

Thats way too slow. There must be something seriously wrong.

Are the same timings for the latest 1.8 nightly?

On my machine (Win7, SSD disk) the first (cold) start is < 10 seconds. Few plugins activated.

Andreas

Jukka Rahkonen <jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi> schrieb:

haubourg <regis.haubourg at ...> writes:

> Hi there,
> first launch for Qgis (1.7.4 and 1.7.1)  in first Window session is very
> slow under windows 7 and windows server 2003 (Citrix XenApp 4.3
> environnement).
>
> Next startups are then instantaneous..

I have had the same feeling with Windows XP so I took some timings. I have
QGis 1.9.90 from OSGeo4W and computer is Windows XP SP3.

Fist startup
- 50 seconds before the "Master" splash screen shows
- 60 seconds more and "Checking provider plugins" is ready
- 40 second more and QGIS is started
Total time was thus 2 minutes and 30 seconds.

Next startups
- total startup time between 5 and 15 seconds (10 repeats).

-Jukka Rahkonen-