[Qgis-user] Re: shapefile/dbf number limitation?

Christine geo.guide at web.de
Thu May 24 06:08:15 PDT 2012

We also had a problem these days with a shapefile in QGIS. A field of this
shapefile was defined with REAL; length 19 and precision 0, just at the
limits Zirneklitis wrote about [On Apr 20, 2012, at 2:29 AM]:
> It's against SHP specification. The maximum precision of number field is
> 18 (with scale > 0, scale max = 17) or 19 (with scale = 0 ).

The field contained an object_id. An attempt to save/export selected
features of the shapefile let all the object_id fields be filled with
-2147483648 values.

Did some testing with that field definition (Real, length 19, precision 0)
and only the range of values between 2147483647 and -2147483648 seems to be
insertable. Beyond that, -2147483648 appears in the fields after saving the
table. The object_id in the original shapefile exceeded the mentioned value
range.

In a field of type REAL defined with length=10 and precision=5 in the same
shapefile could be entered a value of 999999999,9999.

We could the necessary operation with ArcGIS (no faults, no problems), but
from the point of QGIS that's not a sufficient solution.

Does anybody knows more about such an issue?

regards, Christine