[Qgis-user] work-flow please for overlaying precip pattern on top of DEM

Bhaskaran bbkaran at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 05:09:40 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I am new to QGIS. Have spent several weeks full time trying to understand
some basic features.

I found it very difficult to achieve the following:

Precipitation distribution (Raster image) overlayed on top of a DEM. I
basically like to highlight
precip-orography relationships (eg., rain shadow etc).  This means I would
like to set some level of transparancy in the precip layer. This is not
difficult.  I managed to do this.

The difficulty is playing with colours and achieving a sensible legend
(through print composer) for final print. When I use DEM tool to do color
relief, I don't get the legend in the print composer. I could use 1-band
rastor color plug-in but I am limited by color choices (the legend is too
long). Colorbrewer seems to work only for vector layers (please correct me
if I am wrong). So in the process I am completely last and hopefully
someone will point me in the right direction.

Cheers

bbkaran