[Qgis-user] scae on map composer

Matt Boyd mattslists at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 16:37:11 PDT 2012

It's all to do with the map units.
If your working in a projected (ie feet, meters etc) then the map
units are very small compared to the scale of the map.

Segment size (map units) : This is how long each segment in the scale
bar will be, a 5km long segment would be 5000 (ie 5000m because your
projection is in meters)
Map units per bar unit : if you want to display in km, then you'd put
a bar unit at 1000 (5000/1000 = 5km).

In short, you need to adjust the above parameters to suit the
size/scale of the area you're creating a map for.