[Qgis-user] Caching remote postgis layers?

Willem Buitendyk willem at pcfish.ca
Mon Aug 5 09:44:28 PDT 2013

I've noticed looking at the roadmap that caching remote postgis data is not on the list.  I love qgis but a lot of my work involves connecting to a remote postgis database.  The speed of navigating a large dataset is, at the moment, rather unbearable.  I also use Manifold GIS and the difference in speed is shocking, presumably because Manifold is caching the dataset.  This seems like it should be a relatively easy thing to implement.  Is there interest on this board for this feature?  I was thinking at taking a stab at contributing to the source code but am wondering about methods to achieve data caching most efficiently.  Look forward to others thoughts?  Or maybe I missing something that is already in place?

Willem