[Qgis-user] Checking what is the scale/resolution of vector layer

Carlos Cerdán sig.upagu at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 09:08:51 PDT 2013

.... However, in this case, I think you can estimate a (maxima) scale
based at the minimo detail that you can finding in the vector layer and
in the permitted error.

The permitted error it's based in the average minimo detail that human
eye can perceive. It's estimated in 0.2 mm, so you can use this relation:

      1                  lenght in papper
----------    =     -----------------------
scale                length in reality

Lenght in papper is 0.2 mm. If your permitted error is 10 metres (10000
mm),  then:

scale = 10000 / 0.2 = 50000

This is in theory. Reality is that error can be (is in fact) greater
depending on method for get the vector layer. For example, a lines layer
from a navigator GPS has an error of .... 20 m, then this layer has a
maxima util scale of 1 : 100 000. You can use for other minor scales (1:
200 000 ; 1 250 000; etc) with good precission, but not for 1:50 000, or
higher.

Good luck

Carlos Cerdán