[Qgis-user] Oracle - QGIS connection

Jonathan Moules jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk
Fri Aug 16 06:35:35 PDT 2013

Hi List,
I'm having issues getting QGIS to connect to my native Oracle. I had it
working previously but have a new machine now and a new QGIS install so my
previous settings are gone.

I have SQL Developer installed which connects just fine with these:

Hostname: 10.76.112.33
> SID: gistest

However, if I try those in QGIS:

> Database: gistest
> Host: 10.76.112.33

I get this Oracle error instantly:

> ORA-12514 - TNS listener does not currently know fo the service requested
> in the connect descriptor.

If I change it to the TNS name, I get a different error:

> Database: gistest
> Host: co_gistest

After  along time I get an Oracle error: ORA-12154 - TNS could nto resolve
the connect identifier specified.
I also get this error (but quicker) if the Host entered is the same as the
one in the TNSnames file.

Can anyone suggest what the problem is? SQLDeveloper and ArcGIS can both
direct connect to the database from this machine.

Thanks,
Jonathan

--
This transmission is intended for the named addressee(s) only and may
contain sensitive or protectively marked material up to RESTRICTED and