[Qgis-user] Calculating polygon areas

Peter Schürch p.schuerch at meierpartner.ch
Fri Aug 23 06:54:09 PDT 2013

I seem to remember that you can choose to calculate projected area (or distance) or on the chosen geoid (spherical). I doubt this should make that much of a difference in your case, but maybe still worth checking.

Maybe you should make a test with some geometries of known area to see whether QGIS is actually wrong. E.g. squares of 1, 10 and 100 m width.

@Goyo: if it was square degrees Sarah is getting, the difference would be a lot larger than just 8%...

Peter