[Qgis-user] Fwd: Problems with Natural Earth images

Shriramana Sharma samjnaa at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 16:43:13 PST 2013

Resending with cropped images.

---------- Forwarded message ----------

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM, Alex Mandel
<tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:
>> Is it possible to get the same effect as seen in the official
>> downloads with water i.e it's somewhat lighter near the shores but
>> blends to a constant blue tint (i.e. not bathymetric) for the oceans.
>>

> Yes that is a cartography trick, you can do it several ways, one is a
> gradient starting at the edge, the other is a series of one sided
> buffers with a gradient of colors applied to look like a seamless gradient.

Yes I gathered as much. Could you elucidate how to achieve it using
QGIS? This is something like Layer Effects Outer Glow in Photoshop...

> Which resolution image are you using and what scale are you trying to
> make a map at? Natural Earth is only intended for GLOBAL to whole
> Country/Region scales, anything more zoomed in and you'll need to go
> another route.

I want the whole of India to be covered in an A4 size page with 1 inch
margin all around. I suppose this is zoomed-out enough! :-)

Please try the attached images to demonstrate the problem with the
plain cbhypso images. They were produced by the ImageMagick convert
utility resizing to 6.25% and converting to JPEG (and then cropped to
-crop 90x120+632+98 to pass the size limitation for posts). I'm sure
if you try even with Photoshop or with output as TIFF the result will
be the same. You see that the water separation between various land
bodies is missing in the plain cbhypso images.

--
Shriramana Sharma ஶ்ரீரமணஶர்மா श्रीरमणशर्मा