[Qgis-user] Extract colour categories from tif file

Nick Hopton nhopton at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 01:19:28 PST 2013

NickS wrote
>  I have a very simple georeferenced tif image file - it has about 8
> different colour categories, which represent numeric ranges. How can I
> convert the colours (which are in RGB format) into a raster, or better
> still into a polygonised vector file?

Raster -> Conversion -> RGB to PCT will convert an RGB image to a one-band
indexed (paletted) image. You should be able to polygonise this by going
Raster -> Conversion -> Polygonize.

I haven't checked but it might even be possible to polygonise the image
directly, without converting it to PCT first.

N.