[Qgis-user] Open Source Routing in QGIS

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Wed Feb 13 15:26:19 PST 2013

Hi Paolo,

in general, i very much like the idea of crowd funding for qgis features.
The contributers shouldn't be only rewarded by warm words from the
community, but i really wonder why you started this initiative with such a
feature !?

I know that there are as many use cases for qgis as there are users, but
for me personally, this exact feature has no priority at all. I don't even
have an idea what i could use it for. Am i supposed to go on a trip with
my notebook and online connection to find my destination???

I would happily donate money for more multi-use items than this, like
painless spatialite support fro all functions, native Access mdb support,
same features on linux as on Windows without having to do wizardry and
other stuff i just can't name at the moment.

This brings me to the point how you chose this and gonna choose future
projects.
I would prefer having a moderated poll, where users simply could drop
their thoughts and which could be rated by others, merged together by
people with insight into the qgis development and finally pick the highest
rated ideas for such a bidforfix-thing.
This would ensure a fundamental user-interest in the project, and a
broader awareness of what is needed or could be enhanced.
I am quite sure that shouldn't be too hard to set up (or you could start a
bidforfix for that? ;) )

I fear that the poor presentation on that website won't open too many
purses.
In 12 lines, i am roughly told what the feature is about. I caught the
keywords OSM, routing, service, but how about a use case ?

As you started that bid, you should have a fair idea about what the needed
budget will be, but there is nothing mentioned (maybe thats the way this
system works, but thats rather strange to me)
I think that many people (or at least I) have problems donating money in a
project where they don't have the slightest idea about the figures and
their part in it, and easily have the feeling that they throw their money
in a bottomless pit.

My conclusion:
1. Crowd funding is great!
2. There should be a poll/survey on wanted/needed features
3. Digest those ideas
4. Make raw budgets
5. Ask for donations
6. Find developers

Just my 2 cents (and maybe I'm completely wrong and everyone except me is
gasping for qgis-routing)
Bernd

--
Bernd Vogelgesang * Siedlerstrasse 2 * 91083 Baiersdorf * +49-9133-825374

--
Bernd Vogelgesang * Siedlerstrasse 2 * 91083 Baiersdorf * +49-9133-825374