[Qgis-user] QGIS cannot read .nc files on my Windows7 64 Bits

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Wed Feb 13 15:24:22 PST 2013

Hi Yves,

On Wed, 13. Feb 2013 at 09:54:13 +0100, Yves Jacolin (Free) wrote:
> I read also this french forum (I am one of the administror) and OSGeo4W
> project, it seems that OSGeo4W doesn't support win64 (the project page says
> it only support win32).

> I am a bit confused about your answer as I have heard so much problem on
> win64b.

I'm not aware of any problems that are specific to QGIS installs on 64bit
Windows.  The 32bit build should works work fine on 32bit and 64bit Windows.

If there are problems, they are mostly from DLLs that got installed into the
windows\system32 directory (or windows\syswow64 on 64bit Windows - where it
keeps the 32bit DLLs - yes, that's confusing) by other software and conflict
which DLLs that are in the bin directory of OSGeo4W (or standalone QGIS).
Often the SSL DLLs, sometimes other stuff - removing them from system32 helps
in those cases (although that might break the other software, that originally
put them there).  Except for the naming of the directory that's independent of
32 or 64 bit Windows.

We don't currently have a 64bit build of OSGeo4W/QGIS - which would work on
64bit Windows only, but could use more resources (i.e. memory).

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
committ(ed|ing) to Quantum GIS                         IRC: jef on FreeNode

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden