[Qgis-user] Open Source Routing in QGIS

Spencer Gardner spgardner at HNTB.com
Fri Feb 15 12:04:49 PST 2013

> Hi Bernd,
> to start a bid we need three things:
> * a reliable developer
> * the specifications
> * an estimate of total cost.
> This simply happens to be the first project for which we have all three. Other
> projects are most welcome.

>Il 14/02/2013 00:26, Bernd Vogelgesang ha scritto:

> > I think that many people (or at least I) have problems donating money in a project
> > where they don't have the slightest idea about the figures and their part in it, and
> > easily have the feeling that they throw their money in a bottomless pit.

> Please refrain to send this negative word. If this project does not interest you,
> don't put your money in. If there is enough people interested, the project will go
> on, if not, it will die.
> Natural selection, that is - the most powerful force we have.

Paolo,

I think it would be beneficial to see the project budget where there is one available. From your comment above it looks like the routing plugin has an estimate - wouldn't it be possible to show that on the funding website? I can appreciate the fact that some requests for crowd funding may not have an interested developer and detailed plan for execution at the outset, leaving us with a bit of a chicken and egg problem: should funding wait for a developer, or should a developer step in only after funding is secured? I suspect many users (myself included) would prefer to donate money after they feel there is an understanding of the workload involved to produce results.

So I guess my point is that I don't think a budget ought to be a strict requirement for generating a crowd funding request, but I suspect fundraising efforts will be far more effective if there is one. Where there is a budget available it should be publicized.

(and if the routing plugin's budget is already publicized on BidForFix and I simply missed it then I apologize)

Spencer

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are NOT the intended recipient and receive this communication, please delete this message and any attachments. Thank you.