[Qgis-user] LIDAR and QGIS

MORREALE Jean Roc jr.morreale at enoreth.net
Sun Feb 24 10:02:10 PST 2013

Le 24/02/2013 17:09, Stefan Keller a écrit :
> Hi Jake
>
>> 2013/2/24 Jake Maier <j.m at jmforestry.com>
> (...)
>>> Does anyone have experience with LIDAR and qgis, what do I need to display
>>> LIDAR information within qgis?

I use a mix of liblas/lastools to manage the data, GRASS and SAGA for 3D
vizualisation and interpolation and QGIS for the daily tasks.

About QGIS/GRASS : don't even try to import or open all your dataset,
work on subsets.

> The ultimate solution of course would be to integrate PostGIS in QGIS!
> Paul seems to have got funded work on it [1].
> How easy this new data type pointcloud integrates with QGIS I don't know yet.
> I already asked him to report eventually on PostGIS dev or PostGIS
> users mailing list.
>
> Yours,
> Stefan
>
> [1] https://github.com/pramsey/pointcloud

Thank for the information ! Adding that to the existing 3d capabilities
of postgis would be a great thing. I hope that Paul will go beyond zlib
for the compression.