[Qgis-user] Open Layer

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Mon Feb 25 21:22:06 PST 2013

Am 25.02.2013 23:31, schrieb robert kendrick:
> Using Q 1.8.0 for mineral exploration, have been asked to talk about the ease of
> Qgis working with Google Earth. I have a GIS app on my phone that allows me to
> Cache a region when I am off line (in the field)
> Is this possible in Qgis (using open layer) would be a great help, as I have 3
> different field computers that I use Qgis, for samples, Drilling, Geology and
> more. Having an satellite layer is a big plus.

Yes, it is possible, but it needs to re-write the code a bit.

I have stored local tiles in Googles/Openstreetmap tile format, put up a
local apache server, and inserted new lines to the plugin directing to
http://localhost/tiles/...

But keep in mind that Google does not like what you are doing, so keep
it for personal use.

Greetings,
André Joost