[Qgis-user] Filtering data for specified area

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Jan 3 07:41:48 PST 2013

 Hi,

 In addition, you may also look at the clipping tools:

 Raster --> Extraction --> Clipper
 Vector --> Geoprocessing --> Clip

 The clipping tools are always creating new files, whereas spatial
 queries (only available in QGIS master (>= 1.9x)) could theoretically
 also filter data based on spatial criteria. However, this is not yet
 fully supported, not even in QGIS master.

 There is also the spatial join:

 Vector --> Data Management Tools --> Join Attributes by Location.

 This overlays two vector files and creates a third file which you can
 use. You can set a filter in the new file based on the spatial join.

 If you use Postgis, you may use a view with a spatial selection and
 load the view instead of the table.

 Hope this helps - I understand that my answer may not be fully
 satisfactory - if you look for a spatial filter that does not create new
 datasets.

 Andreas

 On Wed, 2 Jan 2013 20:54:58 +0100, Otto Dassau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> have a look here (especially section Selection) for vector data:
>
> http://docs.qgis.org/html/en/docs/user_manual/working_with_vector/query_builder.html#selection
>
> for raster data the Raster Calculator might be useful ...
>
> http://docs.qgis.org/html/en/docs/user_manual/working_with_raster/raster_calculator.html
>
> ... in combination with the GDAL Tools Plugin
>
> http://docs.qgis.org/html/en/docs/user_manual/plugins/plugins_gdaltools.html
>
> => gdal_rasterize
>
> Regards
> Otto
>
> Am Wed, 2 Jan 2013 18:24:21 +0000
> schrieb Westerham <westerham91 at gmail.com>:
>
>> Please forgive this dumb newbie (both GIS and QGIS question but all
>> the on-line examples I've been able to find appear to have data sets
>> already prepared with data specific to the area concerned.
>>
>> I have a shape file for a UK administrative district. Other data
>> files
>> I've tried to use (vector and raster) are for larger areas and so
>> display data both within and outside of the boundary of the
>> district.
>> I want to show data only within the boundary.
>>
>> Please can you point me to the method for filtering vector and
>> raster
>> data so that it only relates to (and displays within) the boundary
>> of
>> a defined (master?) shape file.

 Andreas Neumann
 Böschacherstrasse 10A