[Qgis-user] connecting to large Postgis tables...

Chris Nicholas chrisgnicholas at att.net
Wed Jan 16 21:19:14 PST 2013

Hi -

I loaded and indexed a pretty healthy PostGIS table, and did all the right things in terms of disk/table partitioning, etc..
:-)

but still, when I tried connecting with QGIS, it was *really* slow...

:-(

turning on Postgres debugging, I noticed that QGIS appears to be issuing a silly:
"select extent(the_geom) from my_big_table" , i.e. a full table scan, on connect ...

um...er... what is that about, and can it be disabled?

thanks!
Chris