[Qgis-user] Advice Please

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Sun Jan 27 13:25:59 PST 2013

Hi Bill,

Can it be done? Yes, why not ?
How? Well, firstly you should ask archeologists how they use whatever
software to draw archeological features. The basic concepts will be the
same i guess.

I have no idea of measurement in general and of archealogical measurement
in particular, but i will try a wild guess:
I think that you always have to start from a fix point with known
coordinates.(Point layer, which coordinate system?)
 From this, you can generate a grid e.g. mesh width 1 m (Vector-> Research
Tools -> Vector Grid)(Line or polygon layer)

Then you create your new layer(s) for your feature(classes) and start
drawing.(Points, lines, polygons?)
Of course there are dozends of steps to reach that phase, but i can't
write a book here.

As far as i know Access mdb still isn't supported yet (at least not
available for beginners with no computer wizadry background), but you can
export your tables to dbf format (direct import with drag and drop) or xls
(through xytools plugin)

More detailed questions, maybe more detailed answers.
Maybe others with can drop in ...

Cheers
Bernd

--
Bernd Vogelgesang * Siedlerstrasse 2 * 91083 Baiersdorf * +49-9133-825374