[Qgis-user] Joining multiple points bounded by single polygon

Jonathan Lefman jonathan.lefman at essess.com
Tue Jul 2 06:03:27 PDT 2013

Thank you for your response.  I have attempted to use the "Join by
Location" function.  Perhaps I am using it incorrectly.  If I attempt to
merge the properties of the polygon onto the point data, the operation
never completes and QGIS simply hangs.  Joining from the point data onto
the polygon data works, but I am not able to retain the information from
each point in the newly merged data.

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on this process.

-Jon

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 2:27 AM, Albin Blaschka <
albin.blaschka at standortsanalyse.net> wrote:

>  El 01-07-2013, a las 14:21, Jonathan Lefman <jonathan.lefman at essess.com>
>> escribió:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need help finding the correct plugin or built-in function.
>>
> > I have a points layer and a polygons layer.  I want to
> > categorize my points by which polygons they are within.
> > To be explicit, these points are street addresses and my
> > polygons are land parcels.  I want to find out which street
> > addresses are associated with particular parcels.  A
> > traditional join will not work because these data do not share
> > any commonality besides being overlapped geometrically.
>

> Hello!
>
> In the Menu Vector something like "Research tools" and "Select by
> Location"... I translated the menu items from german...
>
> Generally speaking, what you want to do is a "spatial join"...
>
> HTH
> Albin
>
> --
> | Albin Blaschka, Mag.rer.nat.
> | Etrichstrasse 26, A-5020 Salzburg
> | * www.albinblaschka.info * www.thinkanimal.info *
> | - It's hard to live in the mountains, hard but not hopeless!

*Jonathan Lefman, Ph.D.*
25 Thomson Place, Suite 460, Boston, MA 02210
o: 415-361-5488 x121 | e: jonathan.lefman at essess.com | *www.essess.com*