[Qgis-user] cut several segments into a polygon

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Tue Jul 9 06:11:52 PDT 2013

Hey Jake,

Here's how I typically add a cut to an existing stand (or depending on who
you stand in front of - regeneration cut or clear cut).

1. Select all of your clearcuts in the stand.
2. IN the QGIS menu go to Vector -> geoprocessing -> difference
3. Both the input and the difference layer will be the name of your
shapefile with the stand in it.
4. Uncheck "Use only selected features" under Input Vector Layer
5. Make sure "Use only selected features" is checked under difference layer
6. Create an output shapefile and run.

You should have a new stand with multiple "holes" cut into it so you get
the right acreage.

Randy

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 7:42 AM, Jake Maier <j.m at jmforestry.com> wrote:

> How can I create a polygon with several areas cut out. The cut out areas
> are all contained in polygons of the same shape file.****
>
> I have a large forest stand and contained in it are many smaller stands. *
> ***
>
> Thank you for your help****
>
> Jake****
>
> ** **