[Qgis-user] QGIS and QT Designer

Leo Kris Palao lk.palao at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 18:32:57 PDT 2013

Dear QGIS Users,

I am exploring the synergy of QGIS and QT on a tablet for field work and
field validation activities. I learn this functionality from Nathan
Woodrow. As I understand, I need QGIS-dev and QT-dev packages to facilitate
the integration of QT forms in QGIS. This require the use of OSGeo4W
installer to install the packages, hence this makes Windows-based tablets
appropriate to use.

Right now, the only way to use the QT designer in QGIS is to have a vector
point layer in which the fields are linked to the widgets in the QT form.
In this case, for QT form to work (*pop-up in the map*) a user should
digitize a point in the map canvass. Is there a way to use the GPS
location/coordinates (*like mark waypoint in GPS*) instead of digitizing my
points? For instance, I can use the current GPS location instead of
manually digitizing my points. Or it can be the other way around, where I
have an existing point layer and when you select on a specific point
feature in the map canvass the QT forms will pop-up and populate or update
the attribute information of that point. Does this makes sense?

By the way (if it is okay), can anybody recommend a good windows-based
tablet (that can support QGIS and QT, longer battery life, and with minimal
glare when used outdoors)?

Thank you.
-Leo