[Qgis-user] QGIS and QT Designer

Luca Lanteri mescal72 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 01:47:02 PDT 2013

I'm trying to use using qgis for field survey with a panasonic CF-19 Tablet
PC coupled with an XP tablet edition. I use it with 2 battery and a low
cost bluetooh GPS. It's a good solution for field work when you need to
survey complex data (as a geological or geomorphological survey) and not
just point or simple data.

As Andreas said, Qgis is not yet well optimized in order to use it with
field device but I can work with QT form and GPS quite well.
The major problems for me are the poor integration with the handwriting
recognition keyboard, the lack of some GPS features and freehand annotation
on the map.
You can also try BeeGIS, a plugin for uDIG developed for field work. It has
all the basic feature for field work, incuded manual and automatic GPS
waypoint recording and form editor and some other nice stuff. The
limitation of Beegis, on the other hand, is that it doesn't support
spatialite and that it is has a less complete GIS functionality.

I hope for the future to support the developing of some kind of integration
of BeeGIS field tools with QGIS in order to have an unique GIS framework
for field an office work and to couple the best quality of the two sw.