[Qgis-user] QGIS to ArcGIS

Mike Shand Mike.Shand at glasgow.ac.uk
Tue Jun 4 01:48:59 PDT 2013

 >>You can see some of the maps made with only QGIS at
http://www.flickr.com/groups/qgis/pool
Some very impressive maps, QGIS can do most mapping tasks and does them
very well, I look forward to the official release of QGIS 2.0.
Does it now support both CMYK and RGB for symbol design and has any
changes been made to the Print Composer and its export options ?

 >>That's very surprising: please be specific as to what is missing for you.
It is difficult to be specific and it could be quite a long list. Even
with ArcGIS I find there are limitations on customised symbol design and
layout facilities, so often Adobe Illustrator is my choice for final
mapping and GIS for map analysis and manipulation of spatial data.    My
main gripe about both ArcGIS and QGIS is the unfriendly nature of Page
Layout and Print Composer.  I guess that being a cartographer for over
40 years (GIS user for over 20 years) I am probably too demanding on my
mapping software as I desire to be able to easily customise everything
from a design and layout point of view and will never accept default
solutions.

Regards,
Mike