[Qgis-user] Fwd: Windows 8 tab and GPS

F T oukile at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 03:06:20 PDT 2013

Hello,

We are looking to a windows 8 tab with an internal GPS.
We tought that if we install QGis on this tab, we will then get a super
GPS.
We could then bring our data outside, retreive their location, take
pictures, edit the data offline, then synchronize with our Postgis database
and so on.

It seemed so obvious !

Unfortunately this is not possible...

Today, QGis can't communicate with the internal GPS because Windows 8
forces to use a proprietary API...
Once again, Windows doesn't use the standards...

Nathan has post a ticket : http://hub.qgis.org/issues/7878
Other sources :

http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/QGIS-on-Windows-8-with-GPS-td5053768.html
    http://gcoupe.wordpress.com/2013/02/24/microsoft-does-it-again/

Nevertheless, it would really be a pity that QGis can't use those GPS.
Do you think that one day QGis will be able to use Windows 8 internal GPS?

Thanks

Fabrice