[Qgis-user] QGIS to ArcGIS

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Jun 4 05:22:02 PDT 2013

Hi Mike,

-------------

As to your initial request about converesion from QGIS to ArcGIS
projects or vice versa I still think that is very unlikely to happen. It
is a kind of Sisyphus work where you are never finished and whenever
there are new versions of either software you are set back again. Also
neither the mxd nor the qgs format is stable and documented. So do not
expect this to happen.

-------------

As others have pointed out, QGIS 2.0 adds a lot for better cartography:

* easier print composer (with snapping/guidelines)
* new HTML widget and improved text area, optionally with expressions
* better serial printing
* blending in the print composer
* multi-column legends and more legend options

Labeling:
* many more font-properties
* expressions for data-defined properties
* label backgrounds: simple shapes or SVG
* drop shadows
* easy to work with layers where parts of the features are manually
labeled and others automatically

Blending

Symbology:
* data-defined symbology with expressions on the symbol level
* separation of layer grouping and layer order
* improved rule-based symbology
* units can be mixed (e.g. you can define an offset value in m and the
stroke-width in mm)

The expression editor has many more functions that are quite powerful
and can be used with symbology and labeling.

If you can point us to the missing features that still force you to use
ArcGIS or Illustrator, please let us know. It is the goal of the QGIS
community to provide a tool where the cartographers do not have to
export their work to finish it in a different software. We want to be as
good as or better as ArcGIS regarding Cartography.

Often there is also the case that people do not know all the features of
QGIS and simply do not know how to accomplish things with QGIS. In this
case it may be good to consult this mailinglist or GIS stackexchange.
Sometimes also the help or manual could/should be improved.

One such case is that people have the impression that they cannot easily
move, rotate and scale text in QGIS, but once you add the necessary
data-base fields that is easily possible.

If you have concrete proposals, please consider writing feature requests.

Thank you,
Andreas