[Qgis-user] QGIS 1.8: How to produce a sheet line system map?

spatialjoe spatialjoe at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 1 07:17:47 PST 2013

Hi all,

just for the records:
To get the bounding boxes of my 25 individually composed maps
(portrait/landscape orientation) I did the following:

[0. Save every single map as a Map composer template in the same folder]

1. Manually open every template and copy the coordinates of the extent
(x/ymin; y/xmax) along with the Mapnumber into a table (i.e. two records per
map number= 2 points (min/max)) and save this table as csv-file.
[This could also be done by a little python script "crawling" the individual
template files and writing out the coordinates plus map number (=file name)]

2. Load the csv-file into QGIS to create a point shapefile and save it.

3. Switch to gvSIG, load the point shapefile and use the rectangle-digitizer
to manually draw bounding boxes into a new polygon shapefile by snapping to
the two points with the same map number and enter the corresponding map
number in the polygon shapefile.

Puuh, not that complicated but not that straightforward also.
Would I do it for 250 maps?

Best,

Johannes