[Qgis-user] Coordinate Geometry capability

Gerard Ashton ashtongj at comcast.net
Mon Mar 4 08:54:54 PST 2013

ArcEdit includes functionality that land surveyors like to call coordinate
geometry.
One can start at a given coordinate, and enter the direction and lengths of
line
segments on a traverse. The traverse usually returns to the point of
beginning.
Once the traverse is entered, calculations may be performed to find distance
and direction between any two points, or the area enclosed by the traverse
may be calculated. Naturally one might want to combine this with shape files
for comparison.

Of course optimum results in this area would be provided by an expensive
software package marketed to land surveyors. But does Quantum GIS
have reasonable capabilities in this area?

I am new to free GIS software and am exploring what might be best. I
have used various ESRI software in the past that I had free access to,
but at present, don't have a revenue stream that would support the
purchase of ESRI software.

I am not a land surveyor or GIS professional; I have done fairly simple
map making for various fire, EMS, and disaster organizations that I
volunteer with.

Gerard Ashton