[Qgis-user] Map graticules in QGIS

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Mar 10 15:22:22 PDT 2013

On 03/10/2013 03:13 PM, Lester Anderson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The one major element missing from the otherwise great Quantum GIS, is that
> of easy setup map graticules. There is a basic way of doing simple ones in
> the print composer which is fine for geographic (WGS84) or UTM etc type
> projections, but will not work for conic or stereographic etc.
>
> Is there a plugin for doing this work (that is built-in to layout mode in
> ArcGIS) or is this an upgrade/update that will be available in a new
> release?
>
> Generating a vector grid does not work properly in 1.8.0, and certainly
> only partially completes a Polar Stereographic layout. There are clearly
> flaws that need to be addressed. If there is a reliable workaround for
> this, it would be good to know.
>
> Lester

A workaround is to make the graticule in WGS84 and reproject it to the
desired end projection. I found that it doesn't curve well so I wrote
this script to make graticules with a higher points density that
projects well.

https://github.com/wildintellect/pyGraticule

I hope to work it into QGIS at a later point, but you can use it
standalone with python to make what you need, import and reproject.

Thanks,
Alex