[Qgis-user] Creating a square buffer area around a point

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Mon Mar 11 13:42:42 PDT 2013

> Dear all,
> I have a point (from a shapefile) and I need to create a squared buffer,
> centered on my point with a distance of 30 kms. How can I do this in
> QGIS?
> Thanks
> Regards,
> Luisa

I would:
- add geometry column to that point
- open dbf as spreadsheet
- calculate 4 new coordinate pairs in thr rows below (Xmax/Ymax,
Xmax,Ymin, Xmin/Ymax, Xmin/Ymin), where max= x+30000 and min = x-30000 (if
this is a metric system)
- save that to a csv-file and import with Add Text Delimited Layer
- now you have the corner points, create a polygon layer and digitize a
polygon with snapping to the point layer.

There might be numerous ways to do that, but thats what first came to my
mind.

Bernd