[Qgis-user] Cannot add XLS table, no recognized data type

Chrest, David davidc at rti.org
Tue Nov 5 05:07:53 PST 2013

The QGIS 2.0 User Guide states that I can add Excel (XLS) files like
other layers and tables. Page 50 of Anita Graser's Learning QGIS 2.0
book (great book by the way) also says "...we can load XLS files by
simply dragging them into QGIS from the file browser or using Add Vector
Layer." However, My .xls file does not appear in the file browser. And
when I try to add it by other methods, I get the "...is not a valid or
recognized data source" error message. Am I missing something obvious?
Is there something I need to do to be able to ad .xls tables that was
not documented?

Thanks for any help.

David

David Chrest