[Qgis-user] Why isn't there a support forum for QGIS?

Nathan Woodrow madmanwoo at gmail.com
Sun Oct 6 19:16:12 PDT 2013

I find most people who get frustrated with SE don't read the FAQ and
just jump in assuming it is like a normal forum. Doing so leaves most
people confused when their question is closed or comments are left
asking them to clean up the question.  It may seem strange at first
but you learn to like it.  The model helps to keep the site clean and
just get the answers that you are looking for.  IMO there is nothing
worse then going to a forum to see 20 pages of "yeah I"m having the
same issue", "Ohh I found the same thing. Send me the codez!".  This
annoys me to no end more then a mod calling out a bad post of mine on
SE. I have been on Stackoverflow and GIS.SE since the start and I
still get called out on things, and edits made to my posts, from years
ago.

It may seem harsh at times when someone comments and asks you to
clarify or clean up the question but we all just want to help and
having the person express what they want better is the easiest way.

Because QGIS is not just a simple standalone desktop application but
also covers a wide range of software and use cases it makes sense to
me to have a place were OGR users/devs, PostGIS users/devs, QGIS
users/devs, even ESRI users/devs etc all hang out together helping
each other.

You are also not forced to use GIS.SE that is why we have the mailing
lists, a lot of us that are on GIS.SE are on here too and will help on
both.  To me mailing lists are for discussions and fleshing out ideas,
or more in depth support, and GIS.SE is for Q&A type support. To me
this covers most, if not all the bases.

I noticed that most of your questions on GIS.SE are related to loading
.las files.  I also see you didn't get a lot of answers, or not the
ones you are looking for, this may simply mean that it's not possible
to do what you need yet.  You should't take that to mean that people
are being mean or ignoring you.  You might get the same thing on the
mailing list because most of us are pretty busy, and we might just not
know.   Your activity also doesn't really show any nasty comments by
your or anyone else so I wouldn't panic just yet. If someone is nasty
to you they can be reported and one of the mods will check it out,
trust me they have used the ban hammer once or twice before for
someone who was being nasty.

- Nathan