[Qgis-user] Android phone GPS to QGIS or BeeGIS

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Wed Oct 16 01:26:28 PDT 2013

Hi Conrad,
Nice to get some real field experience coming through in your reply.

Franson GPSgate is what I had stumbled upon too, but then my wife stole
my laptop to go up country to run a 3 day course, so it will be Friday
before I can resume my experimentation.

I will probably end up connecting an oldish Garmin 60CSx to the laptop,
but was wanting to set up the system for trials, using the S3.

Next issue is to find Camera software that also records (approx) compass
bearing in the image.......

Regards and thanks for your input.
Zoltan

On 2013/10/15 22:59, conradh wrote:
> Hi Zoltan,
>
> Have you tried using Franson GPS gate. I used it a couple of years back to
> interface between a "Qstarz" GPS data logger which transmistted a NMEA live
> stream via blue tooth and QGIS on a laptop. I came to the conclusion that
> sometimes the QGIS buffer gets full so using GPS gate buffers the live NMEA
> stream and generlly keeps things orderly.
>
> I am not a fan of using your phone GPS for the following reasons a) battery
> life b) you always need to use your phone for something else and c) if you
> use a stand alone gps transmitter you can tape it to the front dash in the
> car/ put it under the sun visor etc so that you have a clear gps signal
> through the front windscreen of the car. The application was ground truthing
> power line routes around Ankor Watt in Cambodia to ensure the line routes
> were outside the nominated temple areas and worked quite well. However the
> learnings were that it is hard to use a laptop in a car on a bumpy road and
> you should always have a backup gps logger.  I also taped a mobile phone USB
> dongle to the front windscreen of the car so I could download GE as a
> background map in real time but this did not work so well, too many wires
> and not a good phone signal in some areas. If I was doing it again I would
> have the case of a GPS transponder taped to the front dash so I could easily
> remove the transponder as needed (they get hot in the sun when parked) and
> use some sort of tablet, with good battery life, which would be easier to
> use in a moving vehicle. In a similar manner if you are data logging while
> wandering about you can put the transponder in your hat band as they are
> quite small and you will be more likely to recieve a good gps signal (clear
> view of the sky)
>

> --

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

65 Main Road, Muizenberg 7945
Western Cape, South Africa.

34° 6'16.35"S 18°28'5.62"E

Tel: +27-21-7884897  Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax: +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za