[Qgis-user] problem reading csv file (numbers read as strings)

Matteo Ghetta matteo.ghetta at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 04:25:40 PDT 2013

Hi all,
I work with a debian machine, QGIS 2 and libreoffice 3.
I wrote a table with some field (two of them are x and y coordinates),
saved as csv and then I tried to upload it in qgis with the "add delimited
text" option.

Problem: numeric filed are read as strings and not as numbers and so I
cannot convert the table in a point shape (in Libreoffice numbers are read
as numbers and I can do some calculation with them).
It seems that it doesn't matter if a numeric field has a decimal part or
not, qgis does not recognize them as numbers anyway.

Any help is appreciated

Cheers

Matteo