[Qgis-user] Convert Arc projects (MXD) in QGIS

Steve G stevenlgolden at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 13:30:37 PDT 2013

I have been able to dig into this a bit more (i.e. mxd to qgis).  Just want
to report another handy tool that I recently found:  ArcMap2SLD
<http://arcmap2sld.geoinform.fh-mainz.de/ArcMap2SLDConverter_Eng.htm>  .  I
have just started to use the tool and it works pretty well to create SLD
files for polygons and lines (I am using ArcMap 9.3, but imagine it works
similarly for 10.x, just be sure to use the correct version).  For point
symbols I have found that if your project uses unique ESRI symbols (ESRI
fonts/styles), those don't convert into SLD.

A couple of notes based on my experience:

-I did not find the setup.exe as found in the install notes (I was using
version 1.2.2.1, I see that 1.3 has a setup.exe file).  I followed this
blog post <http://www.web-maps.com/gisblog/?p=75>  .  I had an open session
of ArcMap running with the layers that I wanted converted.  I then ran
..\ArcMap2SLD\bin\ArcGIS_SLD_Converter.exe file.

-Under Extras, I selected Layers>In separate files.  This creates a unique
SLD file for each layer in the mxd file) with the resulting file name: file
name+layer name (layer name from ArcMap)

-In QGIS add the vectors as normal.  For each layer I then loaded the Style
(SLD)...Go into Properties>Load Style...

-The ArcMap Labeling properties did not convert to SLD (TextSymbolizer is
supposed to be supported)

I hope this helps anyone who is converting their mxd files to QGIS.  If
anyone has any additional tips, please add to this thread.

-Steve G