[Qgis-user] QGIS 2.0 on openSUSE 12.3 - Processing Plugin

Murkor mharte at ozemail.com.au
Wed Oct 23 18:54:51 PDT 2013

I've installed QGIS 2.0.1-Dufour on a desktop with a relatively new install
of openSUSE 12.3 OS 64bit.

On executing QGIS I got a message box telling me the plugin "Processing"
could not be loaded from all the directories in the QGIS path.

Opening the plugin manager and choosing the "Installed" option on the left I
could see 'Processing" listed with red text in the list of plugins.  There
was also a category for "Problems"  (or something like that - it is gone now
because I applied a fix) where "Processing" was shown.  In either case
highlighting "Processing" showed the message highlighted in yellow that this
plugin required "QSCI".

I shutdown QGIS and started up the YaST Software Manager.  I searched for
"QSCI".  The search returned three (3) pythonscintilla packages and two (2)
libscintilla packages.  I installed all packages EXCEPT libscintilla-devel
(libqscintilla2-8, python-qscintilla, python-qscintilla-sip, and
python3-qscintilla).

I restarted QGIS and got the same message telling me "Processing" could not
be loaded.

Again, opening the plugin manager and choosing the "Installed" option on the
left I could see 'Processing" listed with red text in the list of plugins.
Highlighting "Processing" showed the message that this plugin required
"psycopg2".

I shutdown QGIS and started up the YaST Software Manager.  I searched for
"psycopg2".  The search returned four (4)  packages.  I installed all four
(4) packages (python-psycopg2, python-psycopg2-doc, python3-psycopg2, and
python3-psycopg2-doc).

I restarted QGIS and no longer received a message regarding "Processing".

The "Processing" menu item now shows up in the menu and I can activate the
"Processing Toolbox" which I assume is the QGIS 2 evolution of the SEXTANTE
toolbox.

Searching for the solution to this problem I see that it is a reported bug
(Bug #8710 - cmake mises missing Qsci - http://hub.qgis.org/issues/8710) and
the last entry in the History list of this bug report, from Georg
Reutelsterz, mentions the install of the qscintilla package, but not the
installation of the psycopg2 package.  It might be the difference between
openSUSE 12.3 and openSUSE 12.1 (the version Georg mentioned).

I hope this note helps other installers/users of QGIS 2 on platforms that
show the error for the the "Processing" plugin component installation.

Cheers,
Mike