[Qgis-user] importing NOAA LEO images in QGis ?

friedtj at free.fr friedtj at free.fr
Tue Aug 5 09:41:00 PDT 2014

This might be pushing the limits of what can be asked on a mailing list, and I am
not even sure it is a QGis related question, but let's try:
I receive for fun NOAA POES satellite images (NOAA-15, NOAA-18 & NOAA-19) through a
low cost radiofrequency receiver, which generates images of very acceptable quality. A
proprietary yet free software such as wxtoimg not only decodes the pixel intensity
out of the recorded audio file (AM demodulation of the 2400 Hz audio carrier), but
is also able to overlay a map. I wonder what steps would be needed to import into
QGis one of the images recorded from these NOAA LEO satellites and geoereference each
pixel, considering I know the orbital parameters (available from NORAD through Celestrak)
and the "exact" time at which the image was recorded.
Could this be done from QGis ? or one of its plugins such as OTB ?

Thanks, JM