[Qgis-user] downloading OSM map data

John Harrop jcharrop at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 14:25:10 PDT 2014

Josselyn,

I'm 2.4 one 10.9.4 Mac as well!  So glad I don't have to reboot into Windows or run Parallels just to get at full strength GIS.

I think what you are looking for is described quite well in the QGIS Training Manual (page 3 of the current edition) where it describe how to download the data needed for the training exercises.

Its a two or three step process depending how you look at it.

1) Go to the menu item Vector -> OpenStreetMap -> Download Data.  From there you can choose between the current canvas, a specific layer or manual entry for how much of OpenStreetMap you want to download.  Browse to a file name to save the result to - you will need to find this again later.  That should be quite a quick download.

2) Add Vector Layer (using the button or the menu route) and for the Dataset Source browse to the file you just saved.  It should end in ".osm".  The dialog is now ready to select Open.  That should then bring up a list of five data types you can download.  They are divided by data type, not content.  For example, if you now select the "points" and "lines" items and then press OK you will get generically named "lines' and "points" layers in your project.

3) I usually download each data type and keep that as an original layer before I start to copy them and create the transportation routes or settlements I need on layers.  Thats the third step if you want to separate the last two.

Now all your data is in vector form and on your computer so it should load quickly compared to online sources.

Hope that helps.

John Harrop
Vancouver Canada